Wait at least six weeks after giving birth before attempting to lose weight or any exercises. Always consult a doctor first, especially if you had any complications during or after pregnancy. If you are breastfeeding, remember your body needs adequate amounts of calories to maintain a steady milk supply. Losing weight too quickly may cause your body to produce less milk. To prevent this, try not to lose more than 2 pounds per week, and if you find that you’re are losing more, increase your calorie intake, or eat healthy snacks between meals.
Losing leg/thigh fat can only be done with combining both diet and exercise. Doing one without the other will not give you the results you are looking for, and it will not help to target specific parts of your body.
First, let’s talk about diet. You do not have to go on a diet to lose weight; you just have to learn to make healthier eating choices compared to your regular food that you enjoy to eat. Start by staying hydrated; water is your new best friend. Doctors say you should drink an average of 64 oz. per day. Water helps to flush toxins and carry nutrients to your cells. Green tea is also beneficial. It has antioxidants which help flush unwanted toxins and has 10x the amount of polyphenols as most vegetables. Drinking a glass of water or tea before every meal can help to trick your body into thinking its full, which can also help with cravings.
Carbohydrates such as oats, whole wheat, and unprocessed grains are ok if eaten in small quantities. Proteins consisting of fish, poultry, beans, soy products, and nuts are better choices than other proteins. Kale, blueberries, and Swiss chard are some of the better fruits and veggies, as to where some can be bad for you. Dairy products that are low-fat such as yogurt. Yogurt has bacteria which helps digest and process your food intake and contains protein and calcium. There are good fats and bad fats. Healthy fats are omega three fatty acids and mono saturated fat. Nuts, olive oil or seed oil, and fish contain these healthy fats, and they can also help to lower your cholesterol. Bad fats consist of trans fat and saturated fat. Processed foods, candy, cakes, etc. Contain these bad fats, and you want to avoid these.
A low-calorie diet may also be beneficial. The purpose is to burn more calories than you eat. One pound of fat is roughly 3,500 calories. Eating 500 calories less a day can help burn about 1 pound of fat per week. The easiest way to do this is to reduce daily calorie intake by 250 and exercise enough to burn off 250 calories on a daily basis. You should eat 35-60 grams of fat, 170-240 grams of complex carbohydrates such as whole grains, veggies, and fruit, and 55-95 grams of low-fat protein such as meat, poultry, and fish, per day.
Exercise your entire body. Your body loses fat by turning it into usable energy. Therefore your body will lose fat from all over and not just a specific area. To lose leg/thigh fat, it can help to work out the entire body as well, and just not specific areas. 30-40 minutes of cardiovascular exercises that targets your legs as well as other parts of your body. Examples would be running, jogging, bike riding, brisk walk, stair climbing, etc.
The best leg exercises to help burn leg fat and tighten up leg/thigh muscles are as follows:
- Squats. Stand with your legs shoulder-width apart, lower your bottom to the ground, hold a place for 3 seconds and push back up.
- Front squats. Like a standard squat, but you hold a weight in front of your abdomen, instead of holding weights near your shoulders or arms up by shoulders. Less stress on your back than traditional squats and helps to work out core muscles also.
- Forward-backward lunges. Step backward into a lunge and then push forward into a forward lunge, then step back into a backward lunge. Repeat.
- Glute-ham raises. Lay down on stomach with a weight bar over your ankles. Use your leg and core muscles to lift yourself onto your knees.
- Elevated hip thrusters. Feet flat on the ground, head resting on the elevated surface. Thrust hips upwards.
- Step-ups. Standing positions, alternate between lifting your left and right knees up high, as if about to take a big step.
Last but not least, if you are serious about toning your lower body, check out these tips on how to get skinny legs. I hope this post is helpful for both moms and moms-to-be!